There are 42 muscles on the human face which help us to communicate by expressions. One of the prime reasons for facial aging is lines & wrinkles caused by repetitive muscle movement. Types of lines which are seen on an individual’s face depend on the use of different muscle groups. Literally, the expressions we predominantly make in our lives become etched on our faces with age.
Apart from age, the appearance of one’s face makes the first impression about the nature and personality of a person.
Certain expression lines are associated with negative emotions such as anger, grief, and anxiety. The presence of such lines affect how a person is perceived in interpersonal and social communications. The human face is meant to express. As anti-aging strategists, we do not expect a person to cease all human expression to prevent facial aging.
BOTOX is a brand name of a substance called Botulinum Toxin A which is a purified toxin derivative from a bacteria (likewise many antibiotic medicines including Penicillin are derived from bacteria & moulds). This substance is used to temporarily relax facial muscles to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles. It is injected directly into the muscle which needs to be relaxed. Although involving injections, the treatment is very comfortable. Botox not only treats already formed facial lines caused by repetitive muscle movement but also prevents/delays new lines from forming.
Common injection sites for addressing wrinkles and lines are
- Glabella (region between eyebrows – frown lines)
- Forehead (Worry lines)
- Eyebrow Shaping
- Outer corners of eyes (Crow’s feet)
- Nose (Bunny lines)
- Upper Lip (Gummy Smile)
- Sides of mid-chin (down-turned mouth – Marionette Lines)
- Chin (Chin dimpling)
- Neck (Neck bands or visible cords)
- Armpits, Palms & Soles (Hyperhidrosis – Excessive Sweating)
- Botox is also used medically for squint, blepharospasm (spasm of eyelids) cervical dystonia (severe spasms in the neck muscles), muscle stiffness in the upper limbs (elbows, wrists, fingers), migraine and detrusor overactivity (overactive bladder).
- Botox is being used for many decades now for both cosmetic and medical causes. Botox treatment takes 72 hours to take effect after injection and lasts for about six months. In expert hands, Botox is a potent, yet extremely safe treatment for facial lines & wrinkles. Consistent usage of over several decades and a well-established safety profile has made Botox treatment popular worldwide. Effective usage of Botox requires thorough knowledge of facial anatomy, correct assessment, and understanding of expectations & lifestyle of the individual.
Aging face is associated with loss of subcutaneous volume over time. The youthful soft angles & contours of our face are lost. The skin once taut and clear becomes saggy and wrinkled with age. Like a deflating balloon, the face starts to show wrinkles and lines on what appears to be a sagging material. Especially, the space between the lower eyelid and ‘apple of the cheek’ gets longer and hollowed out. Many deep lines also become more prominent, such as those that run from the nose to mouth (nasolabial lines) and those which run from mouth to chin (mento-labial or marionette lines). This is caused by the descent of the malar fat pad (the fat that sits over cheek area). The descent of volume overtime modifies the face’s complete outline adversely. Other areas where we lose volume with age are the temples and lips.
To replace this loss of volume, a number of substances have been used. Autologous Fat, Collagen, Hyaluronic acid, Polylactic acid, Calcium Hydroxyapatite are some of the substances used as dermal fillers for replacement of the lost volume. Due to predictable nature, proven safety record and superior cosmetic results, Hyaluronic acid (HA) has emerged as the overwhelming filler substance of choice globally. Hyaluronic acid is a substance naturally present in the lower layers of our skin. It is has got no immunogenic potential and is naturally degraded by our body’s processes over time. Dermal fillers are a wonderful way to look youthful. These are used to fill lines and wrinkles in less than 30 minutes with results that can last from 6 months to more than a year.
Hyaluronic acid gel fillers are available in different consistencies and forms. Depending upon their properties of viscosity and malleability, different fillers are suitable for different areas of face. It requires sound knowledge of facial anatomy as well as skill to manipulate filler materials to obtain best results.